I don't think there is anything better than making a big pot of soup when it's cold and rainy outside. I made this soup a few times and had to tweak it a bit, it's perfect now and will definitely be a favorite in our house.
- 1 lb Spicy Italian Sausage ( local grocery store Harmons makes a great one)
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 1 onion diced
- 3 carrots diced
- 3 celery diced
- 5 cloves of garlic minced
- 1/2 cup of sliced mushrooms
- 1 tsp of cayenne pepper
- 2 tsp of Italian seasoning
- S & P to taste
- 2 heaping cups of spinach or kale
- 2 32oz cartons of chicken broth
- 1 bag of frozen cheese tortellini
- 1/4 cup of cream
Cook the Italian sausage in a separate pan, drain any fat and set aside.
Heat two tablespoons of olive oil in a dutch oven. Cook onion, carrots, celery, mushrooms and saute for 3-4 minutes. Add garlic saute for another minute. Add Italian seasoning and cayenne pepper. Add the cooked sausage and the chicken stock. Let boil for 5 minutes. Add kale or spinach, tortellini and 1/4 C of cream. Simmer for 5 minutes until pasta is cooked. Serve with warm crusty bread.